Just yesterday my computer got infected by nasty virus/spyware, the virus hijack my browser when going to any AV site or known support forum. The virus is preventing me to access those site and instead it redirected me to my localhost/127.0.0.1 . I am using windows XP Pro and was using AVG Free.
I tried to scan using AVG but it does not find anything either. I noticed that the virus definition was not updated, and keep failing to update. The virus is preventing me to access the updates, so what I did is used web proxy to visit the AVG site and luckily I got in and download the updates manually. I scan again and still no virus was found.
So then I went and tried all other free antivirus softwares out there: BitDefender, Avira Antivir, Spybot, and still no luck to find any virus/spyware.
I also tried to checked my HOSTS file and it looked normal. I keep on looking/searching on the net until I found the solution on a cnet forum.
So frustrating, it takes me more than 7 hours to fixed my computer. I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it works like a charmed! This is the first time i heard this software and it seems very good! I can used the updates even though I’m infected. After the scanning I found 6 viruses and deleted it immediately then restart my PC. To download the software you can click this Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Alternate Download.
How to Install the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (found this instruction on cnet forum)
* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
* – Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
* – Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.
* MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
* On the Scanner tab:
* – Make sure the “Perform Quick Acan” option is selected.
* – Then click on the Scan button.
* The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and “Scan in progress” will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say “The scan completed successfully. Click ‘Show Results’ to display all objects found”.
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
* Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* — Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
**If you encounter this message:”c:\program files\malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll Unable to register the dll/ocx: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5″ Click on ignore mbamext.dll
After the restart, everything back to normal. I can update all my anti-virus, anti-spyware and the browser is working fine again.
Now back to work mode again 😀